Thursday 6 October 2011

Getting excited now!

Only a week and a bit till our 'trial' supper, and the launch night on 29 October is nearly full! Bit nervous, but more excited really - and of course getting hungry at thinking about some of the menu options.

It's certainly been a food filled few weeks, not least with a week in Turkey, eating some amazing mezze and kebabs (yes, we went to a restaurant called The Kebab Hospital in Gocek, which was delicious), and I may as well have come back as an aubergine given how much of the fantastic stuff I ate.

I'm quite liking the blue cheese (Dunsyre blue) and red onion tartlets I made at the weekend - with a green salad and balsamic syrup. At their best when still warm, but no longer piping hot.



I'm also a big fan of Joanna Weinberg's Feed your Friends with Relish and this is my version of her lamb with rose petal jam (try buying that in Edinburgh, I challenge you - I resorted to waiting till I was last down in London and grabbed some from a fab middle eastern store just off the Edgeware Road, one of my old haunts) with a nutty couscous and some lightly (in this case, slightly too lightly!) steamed beans.



And given the lack of summery weather, a hearty venison casserole - you can't quite see it, but the mash is purple, thanks to a gift of purple spuds from a green fingered friend! Still working on how to present greens on a plate - presentation currently not my forte!




Always one with a sweet tooth, I've been trying out some delicious ice cream recipes - a new favourite is cinnamon and calvados, which goes a treat with toffee apple pudding, as well as the trusted rosewater, white chocolate and cardamon... 

Then of course sticky toffee pudding. Delia's is a winner for me, and I thought nothing would ever beat my favourite Cartmel puds...


No comments:

Post a Comment